Yes, although I did tell Serene Su, that I will blog about it maybe 2 days down the road...but I decided to blog the experience of the 42km StanChart Marathon (which I had courageously signed up sometime back!) and how I complete it this afternoon..
Slept at 11pm last night, I woke up at 3:30am this morning to prepare myself for the Marathon. Left the house at 4:30am with Kevin Poh and Jeremy for Esplanade. While travelling there, I was asking myself, "how am I going to fare today...will I make it to the finishing point.."
Met up with Serene Su, Huifeng and John at Purvis Street to park our cars and then we headed off to the Starting Point. While walking towards the starting point, I could feel my heartbeat increasing...I was feeling kinda excited, running the race of my lifetime.
We started the race late..instead of 5:30am, we started at 5:50am. As usual, Kevin speeds like a Road Runner, the only people that were with me were Serene Su (the usual suspect), Huifeng and Jeremy (honestly, they were being nice to be with us for the first 10km of the race, they are under the speedster category lah - *Serene correct me if I am wrong hor*).
Our first 13-15km of the race was good, the pace was consistent and the speed was good (during the Shenton Way route to ECP, one of the school band was performing "I Believe I Can Fly" really set me going!).
Cramps started to set in at the 26km mark (the U-turn point for 42km), and the entire route at the East Coast Park, seemed to be like a living hell for both of us...Fortunately, I had Serene with me throughout the run, otherwise, the race would had been even more difficult!
Finally we got ourselves out of the ECP..and heading back to the Finishing Line, via Stadium Link to Lavender, Crawford Street, Esplanade and straight to City Hall. Spent most of the later part of the race walking and brisk walking coz our feets was no longer with us. We were simply moving becoz we had to not becoz we want to!! LOLZ!!
At our final 3km, we started to pick up our speed and at the last 150m, I summed up all the strength that I have in me, and headed straight to the finishing line completing it at about 7hrs!
The moment I hit the finishing line, I felt like crying, I dunno why, but tears started to flow down. Maybe becoz I have pushed my tolerance to another level, or could it be due to the fact that throughout the race, it reminded me how my life had been, the smooth moments and the painful ones. The ups and the downs.
My God have and will always be a fair and just God. He doesn't just give me the good moments, but the not so good ones, not to amuse himself but to make me better. Yes, the verse from 2 Timothy 4:7 came to my mind, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."
Yes, after today, I will endeavour to do good my race with God. This 42km run have given me a new perspective to life and God.
A Marathoner, Tjowster Out~!
|
|
Yes, although I did tell Serene Su, that I will blog about it maybe 2 days down the road...but I decided to blog the experience of the 42km StanChart Marathon (which I had courageously signed up sometime back!) and how I complete it this afternoon..
Slept at 11pm last night, I woke up at 3:30am this morning to prepare myself for the Marathon. Left the house at 4:30am with Kevin Poh and Jeremy for Esplanade. While travelling there, I was asking myself, "how am I going to fare today...will I make it to the finishing point.."
Met up with Serene Su, Huifeng and John at Purvis Street to park our cars and then we headed off to the Starting Point. While walking towards the starting point, I could feel my heartbeat increasing...I was feeling kinda excited, running the race of my lifetime.
We started the race late..instead of 5:30am, we started at 5:50am. As usual, Kevin speeds like a Road Runner, the only people that were with me were Serene Su (the usual suspect), Huifeng and Jeremy (honestly, they were being nice to be with us for the first 10km of the race, they are under the speedster category lah - *Serene correct me if I am wrong hor*).
Our first 13-15km of the race was good, the pace was consistent and the speed was good (during the Shenton Way route to ECP, one of the school band was performing "I Believe I Can Fly" really set me going!).
Cramps started to set in at the 26km mark (the U-turn point for 42km), and the entire route at the East Coast Park, seemed to be like a living hell for both of us...Fortunately, I had Serene with me throughout the run, otherwise, the race would had been even more difficult!
Finally we got ourselves out of the ECP..and heading back to the Finishing Line, via Stadium Link to Lavender, Crawford Street, Esplanade and straight to City Hall. Spent most of the later part of the race walking and brisk walking coz our feets was no longer with us. We were simply moving becoz we had to not becoz we want to!! LOLZ!!
At our final 3km, we started to pick up our speed and at the last 150m, I summed up all the strength that I have in me, and headed straight to the finishing line completing it at about 7hrs!
The moment I hit the finishing line, I felt like crying, I dunno why, but tears started to flow down. Maybe becoz I have pushed my tolerance to another level, or could it be due to the fact that throughout the race, it reminded me how my life had been, the smooth moments and the painful ones. The ups and the downs.
My God have and will always be a fair and just God. He doesn't just give me the good moments, but the not so good ones, not to amuse himself but to make me better. Yes, the verse from 2 Timothy 4:7 came to my mind, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."
Yes, after today, I will endeavour to do good my race with God. This 42km run have given me a new perspective to life and God.
A Marathoner, Tjowster Out~!
|
|
|
Name : Matthew Tjow
Age : 31 (as of 1st Jan 2009)
B-day : 1st April 1978
|
|
|